Front Desk Attendant (On Call)
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
The Front Desk Attendant is responsible for providing safe and responsible support to residents of Downtown View, a new 47 unit PPL development, operating in partnership with YouthLink. Downtown View provides housing for youth, ages 18 – 24 years, who have a history of homelessness and often face other barriers to stability. This is a front desk style position with an emphasis on being an accessible and supportive presence to the residents, while also maintaining the safety and security of the community and the building.
This position provides coverage and front desk duties between the hours of 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM Monday through Thursday, and 24 hour coverage beginning at 8:00 PM on Friday through 8:00 AM Monday. The ability to work awake overnights is a requirement of the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide security monitoring of the building inside and out
- Provide corrective interactions around enforcement of House Rules and Lease terms
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with residents to include modeling of appropriate behavior around conflict resolution and social relationships among residents
- Monitor all guests entering and exiting the building, ensuring they sign-in/out with an ID, recording their destination, and keeping track of the length of visits/overnights
- Respond appropriately and/or provide assistance with emergency situations and crisis intervention including de-escalation and calling the appropriate authorities, if needed, contacting the appropriate staff or supervisor and interacting with police, fire, and medical personnel as needed
- Communicate issues and other pertinent details to property management staff in a timely fashion which may include updating the log book, completing incident reports, or direct communication via email or telephone
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative problem solving and willingness to take initiative
- Strong desire to serve people from diverse cultures, economic and social situations.
- Experience with youth strongly preferred
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs, situations, and potentially changing duties
- Ability to identify crisis situations and provide and support, including de-escalating potentially volatile situations with ability to understand when it’s appropriate to call local law enforcement.
Minimum Technology Qualifications:
- Office equipment including telephone and voicemail systems, copier, printer, fax machine and scanner
- MS Office and Outlook
- The Internet and electronic timecard system
- Computer Network (files, drives, and folders)
- And learn use of security camera and door system software
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED required;
- 1+ years of experience in Human Services/Social Work/Education or other closely related fields preferred.
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.