Employment Specialist - WIOA
Accepting Applications until October 11th, 2019
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
PPL is seeking a self-driven, passionate individual to join our Career Center team as an Employment Specialist. This role will provide individualized career counseling services for adults looking to improve, update, or gain new employment skills through the WIOA Adult program. Assist with recruitment and outreach, identifying participant eligibility, enrollment and providing wrap-around support services to participants. This position will be based at the PPL Career Center and will and spend time at the CareerForce at 800 West Broadway Minneapolis.
The PPL Career Training Programs consist of short-term training of 3-6 weeks and long-term training of 5-12 months in a variety of areas such a banking, customer service, healthcare, administration, building operations and more. 84% of graduates hired retained their employment for 12 months or more. On average, graduates who were hired experience a 3X growth in their income.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide individualized career counseling services for adults looking to improve, update, or gain new employment skills with an active caseload of approximately 45 people.
- Conduct intakes, orientations, and/or informational sessions for potential participants.
- Provide 1:1 job retention services for participants placed through employment services. This includes monthly calls and/or face-to-face meetings.
- Attend partner meetings and provide program updates.
- Provide intervention and referrals to participants on work-related issues.
- Maintain accurate and timely case notes for all participants, including reporting at specified intervals using the Workforce One database.
- Meet weekly with Manager to provide updates, consults and reports as needed.
- Maintain professional communication with participants, partners and co-workers.
- Assist in coordinating and implementing program changes, meetings and events as needed.
- Participate in Placement and Retention meetings with other Employment Specialists.
- Participate in various PPL committees/meetings as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Strong desire to serve diverse cultures and adults with employment barriers.
- Ability to work independently or as a team member.
- Knowledge of community programs and resources for participants with barriers to employment.
- Strong computer and database skills/willingness to learn these skills.
- Reliable transportation
Education and/or Experience
- BA/BS degree in Human Services or related field. (Additional experience may substitute for education).
- 1-2 years’ experience in Employment Services or other related field.
Benefits: Benefits will include Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $19.23-$21.15/hr., DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.