Staff Accountant (A/P)
Accepting Applications until October 18th, 2019
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
The Accounts Payable Staff Accountant is a member of the Corporate Accounting Function and supports the accurate processing of payments. Process is based on review of authorized invoices, recording of transactions in the A/P module of the general ledger system, accurate coding of the transaction within the system, updating to fulfill payment process and reconciling of related financial information. The Staff Accountant is expected to provide instructions and /or accounting support to other personnel in other departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Supports the daily processing of Accounts Payable requests in an accurate, efficient and timely manner. Processing steps include:
- Perform monthly reconciliation of Accounts Payable Detail Aging to GL
- Update and maintain vendor database
- Maintain vendor and Accounts Payable related files
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries in a timely manner
- Prepare and file 1099s
- Keep W-9s current
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
- Review of invoices and expense reports for payment by stamping each invoice with received date, verify authenticity of invoice, verify accuracy of amount requested to be paid, verify approval, verify account coding
- Review unapproved invoices electronically and follow-up with staff if invoice approval is delayed
- Confirm that bank account balance is sufficient to cover checks to be issued
- Enter invoices to the A/P module of the general ledger system for payment
- Print checks and process electronic payments
- Obtain required check signatures
- Mail checks
- File paid invoices
- Proficient and knowledgeable in all areas of Accounts Payable
- Ability to prepare and process checks for multiple companies
- Ability to enter a specific number of invoices per month
- Eye for detail in order to maintain an exceptional level of accuracy
- Possess interpersonal, organizational, decision-making, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Must be able to work with Excel, MS Word, Yardi and MAS
- Ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet and professional manner
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative
- Familiarity with non-profit accounting a plus
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or GED; Two year associates degree or relevant education preferred
- Possess at least two (2) years of experience working with Accounts Payable
Benefits: Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $17.71-$21.33, DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.