Divisional Staff Accountant
Accepting Applications Until 9/28/18
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
For over 40 years, PPL has created housing and stabilized neighborhoods by working with nonprofit partners, neighborhood groups, and agencies to build or renovate nearly 2,000 affordable housing units. Today, PPL owns or manages a portfolio of more than 1,400 units of affordable or supportive housing throughout the Twin Cities metro area.
This Divisional Staff Accountant coordinates the accounting activities and processes for the organization’s property management operations under the direction of the Controller. Key duties include financial accounting support, recording journal entries and accounting data, generating reports for internal and external entities, generating and monitoring accounts receivable and performing application system reconciliations to the general ledger.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately records accounts receivable transactions into the sub-ledger.
- Reconciles data between the general ledger and the sub-ledger.
- Generates application system reports as required to meet monthly, quarterly and annual processes.
- Provides support to the Property Managers regarding tenant related matters.
- Generates quarterly vacancy reports
- Provides training to new hires in using the Yardi property management software.
- Completes monthly bank account reconciliations
- Provides year-end support to the preparation of audit work papers as needed
- Serves as back up to Accounts Payable
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed
- Associate Degree in Accounting or higher
- 2-5-years financial accounting experience or a combination of education and experience
- A basic understanding of financial statements, general ledgers, trial balances and accounting theory
- Basic understanding of general ledger systems and supporting applications.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office
- Detail oriented with excellent organization and problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet assigned deadlines.
- Very good interpersonal skills in order to work cooperatively and collaboratively across the organization and with various levels of management.
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative
- Experience in affordable housing and property management is very helpful
- Experience with Yardi and MAS Accounting Software a plus
- Strong Excel and Microsoft Office skills
- Understanding of accounting software systems
Benefits: Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $45,000, DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.