Children & Youth Service Coordinator-Part-time (24 hrs/week)
Accepting Applications until 9/7/2018
Who We Are:
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
Based in South Minneapolis, the Children and Youth Services Coordinator will work with families at a number of PPL's scattered sites. This position will assist children, youth, and parents in developing, implementing, and achieving individual goals related to education and personal growth. By utilizing case management, crisis intervention, and positive communication skills, this position will build partnerships with families from diverse communities who have experienced homelessness and mental health challenges.
The Children and Youth Coordinator will support families in development of a well-being plan for up to 40 youth. This position will also coordinate teen and family enrichment activities to build community and positive experiences. Intercultural competency, an understanding of child and youth development, and knowledge of community resources are essential to this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop trusting relationships with children, youth, and parents using an asset-based, culturally inclusive, and trauma-informed approach.
- Engage with residents to facilitate annual well-being plan sessions with parents and their children birth-18. Follow up with individuals to provide support in addressing areas of concern, accessing resources, educational advocacy, navigating systems, and accomplishing goals.
- Work with families to develop a summer plan for all school-age youth.
- Collaborate with Family Services Coordinators to facilitate ongoing youth and family enrichment activities for families living at scattered site locations.
- Conduct home visits with Family Service Coordinators to observe family dynamics and support parenting.
- Communicate and coordinate services with all team members, internal, and external stakeholders.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date documentation including case notes, incident reports, etc.
- Provide transportation in a PPL van or personal vehicle for programming, special events, and appointments.
- Experience with case management or providing direct services to youth
- Experience working with children or youth affected by mental illness, chemical dependency and/or homelessness
- Strong desire to serve individuals from diverse cultures, economics, and social situations
- Ability to respond to the unique cultural, economic, and social needs of residents while using individual assessments to meet their goals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and boundaries in all interactions with residents, staff, volunteers, and the public
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written skills, good organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Ability to work in a team collaborative environment as well as work independently
- Proactive in seeking out resources and connections for programming within the community
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record as determined by our insurance carrier, proof of insurance and access to reliable transportation.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associates degree and 2-3 years of experience in case management with children, youth, or parents; or other closely related field
- Trauma informed care, ASQ, Motivational Interviewing, and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy skills experience desired
Benefits: Benefits will include Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $17.00-$20.00/hr., DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.