Property Manager - South
Accepting Applications until 12/6/2019
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
The Property Manager is responsible for managing day-to-day operations of assigned properties including: marketing and leasing; rent collection; supervision of site management staff, maintenance staff and caretakers; budget management (design and control); compliance reporting; property conditions and maintaining positive relations with neighbors, funders, regulatory agencies and both internal and external PPL customers with a high level of customer service. Overall responsibility – with Assistant Manager and Maintenance Site Tech(s) – for providing clean, safe, well-maintained housing for PPL residents.
For over 40 years, PPL has created housing and stabilized neighborhoods by working with nonprofit partners, neighborhood groups, and agencies to build or renovate nearly 2,000 affordable housing units. Today, PPL owns or manages a portfolio of more than 1,500 units of affordable or supportive housing throughout the Twin Cities metro area.
Other responsibilities will include tasks and/or oversight in the following areas:
Marketing and Leasing:
- Strive for full occupancy through a range of techniques to stimulate traffic and close leases.
- Oversee apartment turnovers; coordinate and communicate apartment readiness with maintenance department and outside vendors; assure occupancy data in Yardi is correct;
- Complete income certification and recertification of residents in a timely, accurate manner; document income certification in manner designated by Compliance Manager.
- Assure prospective and current tenants understand lease obligations and PPL House Rules.
- Keep current with local market and provide input on rent appropriateness.
- Take appropriate rent collections actions; implement rent increases in accordance with the Master Rent Matrix in timely fashion.
- Review and code invoices, consistent with budget control oversight.
- Prepare monthly management and variance reports; prepare annual budget information.
Property Conditions and Operations:
- Maintain appearance of properties to the best possible advantage within available resources, and coordinate with Maintenance Department regarding inspections, maintenance and apartment turns.
- Coordinate maintenance and vendor readiness for agency inspections.
- Work closely with assigned maintenance technician to schedule and execute all routine work orders as well as plan for and oversee apartment make-ready work.
- Respond to tenant calls, lease violations and general property control.
- Participate in referring vendors to Facilities Manager and for overseeing performance of contracted vendors in the areas of grounds keeping, snow removal, janitorial, pest control, rubbish removal and other necessary services.
- Provide input on capital replacement needs to Regional and Asset Managers.
- Respond to and appropriately document emergencies and resident services referrals, enforces “House Rules”, monitor properties for safety and security.
- Responsible for preparation of sites to ensure successful property inspections by any agency, lender or partner. Tasks include: pre-inspection; scheduling maintenance and/or special cleaning; notification of tenants, coordinating requested documents; etc.
- Responsible for supervising at least one Assistant Property Managers and one Maintenance Site Technician
- Hiring and overseeing performance of caretakers
- Supervising property management trainees and/or work-study students as assigned.
- Preference will be given to individuals who are fluent in Somali.
- Proficient in spreadsheet and accounting software (especially Yardi).
- Financial analysis skills.
- Knowledge of Property Management budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Experience successfully working with diverse populations in multi-family settings.
- Familiarity with low-income housing funding mechanisms, including operating subsidy programs (LIHTC, HOME, Section 8).
- Must have valid Minnesota drivers’ license, and drive own vehicle from site to site.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate degree in Housing, Business, Property Management or related field, or demonstrated competence in Property Management.
- 3-5 years of experience in property management.
- Or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job duties satisfactory.
Benefits: Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.