Employment Specialist - Career Pathways
Accepting Applications Until August 16th, 2019
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
The Employment Specialist working with a caseload of 50-75 individuals will be responsible for providing employment placement, retention, and career laddering services to participants and graduates of the Career Pathways programs. This position will effectively connect education to employment outcomes and will engage employer partners to directly link graduates to open job positions and career laddering opportunities. The Employment Specialist will also assist participants in navigating the post-secondary education system to access resources and services that promotes academic advancement and coach program participants and graduates on resume writing, interviewing skills, and other employment activities in order to achieve and support PPL’s mission.
PPL strives to create long-term stability for the individuals in our communities. The most effective way to promote long-term self-reliance is by stabilizing the economics of a household. When we stabilize a household economically, we help set the stage for long-term success. Through PPL’s employment training programs, participants are able to build employment skills that will put them on the path to a career.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one job placement support for graduates and assist in connecting graduates to financial services in partnership with PPL Financial Coaches.
- Assist graduates with finding employment and career laddering opportunities by researching open positions and linking appropriate candidates to the application process.
- Assist participants and graduates on resume writing, interviewing, job search and other employment related activities.
- Effectively provide long-term, on-going support and guidance to graduates to help them find the resources and services necessary to address employment barriers, provide on-going support and direction to graduates in achieving work and education performance goals and handling problems as they arise and provide intervention and referrals to graduates on work and education-related issues.
- Help participants navigate the post-secondary education system for educational resources and services such as, but not limited to, financial aid, academic counseling, career exploration and student support services.
- Work collaboratively with instructors to monitor participant attendance and address classroom issues and concerns.
- Maintain timely and accurate case notes and program activities for all case files including paper files and online databases Apricot, Workforce One (WF1) and Efforts to Outcome (ETO). Responsible for providing placements and retention outcomes and reports as requested.
- Provide twelve months retention services to graduates including three, six and twelve month’s follow-up.
- Coordinate placement and retention activities with VISTA, AmeriCorps members, and other Employment Specialist staff members.
- Work collaboratively with the Income Support staff and Financial Coaches to achieve service integration goals.
- Facilitate classroom workshops/sessions aimed at enhancing marketable skills of graduates.
- Effectively interface with established employer partners in order to grow and maintain employment relationships via phone, in-person, and/or email in order to secure job placements, internships, and/or training opportunities for graduates.
- Provide coverage during the evenings when classes are in session at the PPL Learning Center. Classes will run twice a week from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. during specific times of the year. Provide evening or day office hours at Minneapolis & Community Technical College when classes are in session on campus.
- Strong knowledge of community programs and resources, and the post-secondary education system.
- Strong knowledge of job market trends.
- Experience in job readiness activities with economically disadvantaged populations.
- Possess strong time management and documentation skills as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently as well as work collaboratively.
- Effective in working with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to develop and maintain detailed statistical data and quantitative information. Demonstrated proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and ability to pass a motor vehicle background check
Education & Experience
- BA/BS degree in Human Services, Sociology, Social Work, Business, or a related field. (Additional experience may substitute for education)
- Minimum of two years of experience in workforce development, non-profit, or other human services field.
Benefits: Benefits will include Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; Summer Hours (shortened work hours on Fridays); 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $19.23-$21.15/hr., DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.