Compliance Specialist Lead
Accepting Applications until 8/30/19
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
The Compliance Specialist Lead is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day compliance operations of Project for Pride in Living’s (PPL) affordable housing programs related to detailed income verifications, periodic reporting to other agencies and file audits by monitoring agencies. Keeps current on all changes of affordable housing regulations and assists in the preparing, distribution and training of this information to property management personnel as well as new compliance team members. Tracks timeliness and accuracy of household certifications submitted by property management personnel, assists with pre-audit file reviews.
Additionally, works closely with the Compliance Manager to evaluate personnel, policies, procedures, and programs within the department and assist in the enforcement of all affordable housing programs, governed statutes, policies and regulations. Helps manage each property’s compliance programs either directly or in conjunction with available personnel to ensure compliance and efficiency and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.
- Familiar with, knowledgeable on and follows the federal, state, and local laws and regulations and guidelines established by the respective governing agencies as they relate to compliance of assigned properties including; not limited to: LIHTC, HOME, CDBG, TIF, AHP, AHIF, Minnesota Housing Deferred Loans and Grants, LTH, etc. and keep current on all updates and changes in affordable housing programs and requirements
- Monitoring state agencies to stay updated on new policies, procedures and compliance related forms. Provide updates to Compliance Manager
- Assist the Compliance Manager with developing and maintaining a comprehensive regulatory program file for each property and with evaluating agency requirements and implement compliance procedures for development for all properties
- Ensures tenant files are program compliant, as it relates to program eligibility, documentation, and filing requirements by reviewing and approving property management generated resident file documentation and certification packets and by performing pre-audit file reviews
- Monitors compliance activities to ensure timely and accurate gathering of initial, interim and annual resident eligibility verifications
- Ensure all first year files from each property have been copied and filed in designated locations
- Ensures properties employ the correct leasing procedures (including tenant screening) and forms and comply with applicable leasing laws.
- Timely and accurate preparation, submission and tracking of assigned rental assistance funding from MHFA and other agencies that provide Section 8-like rental subsidy (e.g. Continuum of Care, Housing Trust Fund, NAZ-ATS, etc.)
- Timely and accurate data entry of pertinent resident and compliance data in Yardi, the Compliance Dashboard, PORT and other database(s), which identify and track compliance status of all programs for which PPL is responsible
- Provides continued support and guidance on compliance matters by responding to compliance-related questions from property management personnel and providing clear and concise written notification and interpretations of program regulations and changes.
- Works with Compliance Specialists and Compliance Manager to develop action plans for non-compliant properties
- Collaborates with property management personnel on gathering audit response documentation as required in a complete and consistent manner. Ensure timely response delivery by stipulated deadlines
- Coordinates with Compliance Specialists, Compliance Manager and Regional Property Manager to prepare and provide orientation and training to new Assistant Property Managers and new Property Managers.
- Assesses and make recommendations to the Compliance Specialists and the Compliance Manager regarding compliance procedures and training needs for property management personnel
- Collaborate with Compliance Team and organize bi-monthly Compliance Newsletter under the direction of the Compliance Manager
- Completes annual/quarterly/monthly compliance reporting as required
- Assist in developing compliance strategy and strong team that promotes engagement, collaboration, respect, productivity, and efficiency throughout the compliance department
- Regularly visits all properties in assigned portfolio
- Strong understanding of low-income housing funding mechanisms, including operating subsidy programs and compliance related issues.
- Creative problem-solving skills, excellent organization and planning skills, sound judgment and the ability to make decisions
- Ability to deal with shifting priorities, multiple tasks, and deadlines
- Possesses initiative and thrives in a fast-paced work environment
- Exemplary time management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Is team-oriented and flexible in assuming new responsibilities as they arise
- Proficient computer literacy, including Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word and demonstrates a clear understanding of Yardi
- Demonstrates cultural competence with diverse populations
- Able to work independently according to specific directions and timelines, self-motivated and work with minimal supervision
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent; post-secondary education preferred
- Tax Credit Compliance Professional Certificate (TCCP) and Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) designation preferred or successful completion of both within 2 years.
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a compliance specialist, site manager, or assistant manager responsible for processing paperwork and regulation compliance for a property or properties with LIHTC and/or HUD Program, such as HOME or Project Based Section 8.
Benefits: Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; “Summer Hours” shortened work hours on Fridays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
Salary: $46,000-$49,000, DOQ
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.