Employment Specialist-Onramp Program
Accepting Applications Until 9/21/18
Who We Are
Project for Pride in Living, Inc. (PPL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income people to become self-reliant through integrated services. When joining PPL, you become a part of a diverse team whose goal is to assist our residents and communities with the groundwork they need, not only to survive, but also to thrive. We are eager to welcome others to our team who are dedicated to serving our residents and pursuing our mission to build the hope, assets, and self-reliance of individuals and families who have lower incomes by providing transformative affordable housing and employment readiness services.
Due to a recent expansion of PPL’s employment program, PPL is seeking a self-driven, passionate individual to join our education team as an Employment Specialist-Onramp. This position will be located out of our West Broadway Ave location in Minneapolis.
The Employment Specialist will be responsible for providing individualized career counseling services including resume-writing assistance, interviewing skill development, job search assistance and other employment related activities. This role will work with an active caseload of approximately 40-50 people.
PPL strives to create long-term stability for the individuals in our communities. The most effective way to promote long-term self-reliance is by stabilizing the economics of a household. When we stabilize a household economically, we help set the stage for long-term success. Through PPL’s employment training and education programs, participants are able to build employment skills that will put them on the path to a career.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) Specialists and CTEP Service Members to identify and recruit participants into the Onramp Program.
- Conduct intakes, informational sessions, and orientations for all new Onramp participants.
- Create and refine new professional development curricula to be used in competency-based workshops that align with industry-recognized credential such as the National Retail Federation (NRF) Certificate.
- Assist participants in developing job readiness skills both workshops instruction and one-on-one coaching
- Provide 1:1 job retention services for participants placed through employment services.
- Provide intervention and referrals to participants on work-related issues.
- Provide ongoing support for participants in their paid internship positions. Reinforce the connection between NRF skills and work practices.
- Maintain accurate and timely case notes for all participants, including reporting at specified intervals using various databases such as CTK Apricot and Workforce One.
- Maintain strong internal and external partnerships and provide creative program design and direction suggestions as needed as well as program status updates.
- Meet regularly with the LEAP Director to provide updates, consults and reports as needed.
- Maintain professional communication with participants, partners and co-workers.
- Assist in coordinating and implementing program changes, meetings and events as needed.
- Participate in JAG Professional Learning Communities and other appropriate educational meetings as needed.
- Strong desire to serve adults with employment barriers and diverse cultures.
- Knowledge of community programs and resources for participants with barriers to employment.
- Strong facilitator skills
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, proof of current insurance, a good driving record as determined by our insurance carrier, and a reliable vehicle.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree in related field (additional experience may substitute for education)
- 2+ years’ experience in Employment Services or other closely related field.
- Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) Certification or a Teaching License strongly preferred but not required
- Bilingual preferred but not required
Benefits: Benefits will include Health & Dental; Employer Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance, Employer Paid Life Insurance; Voluntary Life Insurance; Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA); PTO & Paid Holidays; 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Match.
PPL is an EEO/AA employer. PPL participates in the federal E-verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.